Thursday, March 18, 2010

Sleep


Over the past couple of months after a series of tests, it was finally confirmed what I pretty much knew for long time, I have Sleep Apnea. What this is when I sleep, I don't breathe. Most folks while sleeping breathe through their nose with their mouths closed. People with Sleep Apnea have to breathe through their mouths, although not very well. As a result of this, it can cause loud snoring, High Blood Pressure*, heart problems*, insomnia* and feeling fatigued* in the hours you are awake.
Sleep Apnea is a very serious condition, it is a killer. By not getting the proper amount of sleep puts a strain on your heart and other body functions and it can slowly kill you. Plus not being able to breathe while sleeping, well I think you know what the result can be. Many a night I've abruptly woken up gasping for breath and feeling like my chest is going to explode. I unfortunately knew a young child with at the age of twelve who died because of Sleep Apnea.
Sleep Apnea can be fixed/helped with the use of a C-Pap Machine, this device breathes for you. With a mask on your face, the C-Pap gives you the much needed air you need while sleeping. I have been using a C-Pap for a week now and you can't believe how much better I feel. I used to wake up tired wanting to go right back to sleep (Most mornings I felt more tired than I did before I went to sleep). Usually after being up for a couple of hours, I would doze off in front of the TV, my drawing table, my computer, etc. While at work I would constantly have to fight off drowsiness and when I got home, fall asleep sometimes while eating dinner! Now when I'm awake, I don't feel so tired and I have been sleeping better. I'm still getting used to the mask and I can no longer sleep on my stomach, but it's worth it.

If you are a heavy snorer or have any of the conditions I mentioned above, please have yourself tested. It can save you life!



*I have all of these

No comments: