Sunday, September 21, 2008

Plas


One of my favorite Super-Heroes is Plastic Man. The above picture is a poster that I did that hangs in my studio.
Plas was created by Jack Cole, a native of New Castle, Pa. Cole was a comedic genius, having worked on humorous titles before working on the exploding super-hero titles that was taking over the medium, which he did equally well.
Plas was different because he was played for laughs during the Golden Age of Comics when everyone else was a straight forward crime-fighter. Even when Plas was fighting Nazi spies, it was done comically due to his stretching abilities. Plastic Man even became a special agent for the F.B.I., even though before he gained his abilities he was a small time thug named Eel O'Brian. When he gained his unusual powers he decided to turn his life around and use them for good.
If you ever get the chance to read these classic comics, I highly recommend them. DC Comics has published eight volumes of The Plastic Man Archives, and I believe that they are available at your local Libraries.

No comments: