Thursday, May 25, 2017

40 years of "Star Wars"

Today May 25, 2017 marks the 40th anniversary of the release of the greatest movie ever made, "Star Wars".
I was 14 when the film came out and had just started high school that August. Like most of the summer all anyone was talking about was this great movie about another galaxy and these great characters that save it's universe from this evil empire and main villain in black, Darth Vader.
So a month later, me, my Mom and my sister and a couple of friends finally went to see what the hype was all about. WOW!!! Was I blown away! I had never seen anything like this movie my whole life. A science fiction film that looked lived in. Cool space vehicles and robots that looked real and that were funny. A great hero in Luke Skywalker, a sarcastic pirate in Han Solo (and his first mate Chewbacca the Wookiee), the wise old wizard Obi-wan Kenobi and the brave and brash Princess Leia all fighting to destroy the ultimate weapon, the Death Star.
Never had I seen a movie that sucked me in and made me care about the characters, hate the villains and made me jump out of my seat when the good guys won the day.
Star Wars was and is a big part of my life and changed the way I watched movies and made me want to learn how films were made, how special effects were done and how to tell a great story in any form of media.
Here is some recent artwork I did of the iconic characters from the classic film.






No comments: